Time for another episode of Round Table Roulette! We’re laying out some questions and other prompts for our guests – Ben Kopel, Faye Thompson, and Susan DiFabio – to answer and comment on. Recorded in San Diego at Agile2018 with our host, Howard Sublett. Here’s what our guests had to wrestle with:
- How do you explain what you do to strangers? Or how do you explain it to your grandmother
- What book would you recommend?
- Faye: “Age of Agile” by Steve Denning; Daniel Coils “Culture Code” – outside Agile – “Freakonomics” series
- Susan: started a book club with “Leading Teams” by Richard Hackman; Daniel Pink’s “Drive”; “Crucial Conversations”
- Ben: recently read “Leading Change” and “Slack”
- What social problems are businesses too afraid to address?
- Businesses treat humans as resources.
- Being compassionate at work and in business.
- Number one advice to a new Agile coach.
- Work on listening.
- Get yourself a coach.
- Understand coaching stances – because coaching is not just giving advice.
- Be patient.
- Get the right people involved – don’t try to solve the problem yourself.
Our interviewees mention April Wensel’s presentation on compassionate business, which we captured in our podcast “Compassion in Business and Tech.”